Things to do
The best thing to do is to simply rest and unwind with a good book and a glass of wine in the garden or on your stoep, and explore the farm for walks or to watch birds which are there in abundance. Tanagra farm is 78ha in size and for most parts accessible by various walking/hiking trails (also great for mountain-biking) ranging from a leisurely 10 minutes' walk to a couple of hours' hike. If you wish to be more active, there are a variety of activities to pursue, amongst others:
- McGregor – a charming 19th century village with quaint white-washed and thatched cottages. Being nestled at the foot of the Riviersonderend mountains, at the end of the road from Robertson, McGregor has come to be a very special and unique place, which has attracted intellectuals and artists as local residents while still keeping a down-to-earth natural and particularly ‘easy’ atmosphere. Explore the village with its historical buildings, or go shopping in some of the art galleries, gift shop or the local pottery and choose from a variety of cosy restaurants and pubs for anything between a light meal and a serious dinner.
You will be enchanted by this special place!
- Vrolijkheid Nature Reserve – is directly bordering Tanagra and known for its abounding bird life (175 bird species. Klipspringer, grysbok, grey rhebuck and springbok are common and can be seen at various bird hides as well. Hiking trails (3 km and 19km) and mountain bike trail (8 km) and dams with bird hides.
- Various other hikes are available, the most spectacular being the Boesmanskloof Trail leading from McGregor to Greyton in a 5 hours’ walk through the Riviersonderend mountains, along rock pools and waterfalls and wild flowers. A hiking permit can be obtained from the tourism office.
- McGregor cycling: 5 mountain biking and cycling routes in and around the village McGregor. Starting at 8km to 32km. Map available at the McGregor Tourism office.
- There are other wineries located in and around McGregor which can be visited for wine-tastings such as the McGregor Winery, Lord’s Wines, or Bemynd Wines, as part of the McGregor Wine Meander.
- Donkey Sanctuary, only a bit further up the road from Tanagra to McGregor provides a home for abused and neglected donkeys. Restaurant on premises.
- Robertson – boasts a great variety of wine estates and offers a great variety of outdoor activities (from game drives to hikes to boat trips, and the excellent Silwerstrand golf estate/club). For more information click here.